Monday, February 21, 2011

The Three B's of Racing

The husband and I completed a 15K this past weekend in the Tulsa area. While we had fun and it was good exercise, I didn't come away with that "oh my gosh, that was fun" feeling that I normally have after an organized event. So, since race fees can add up quickly, I started thinking about what makes a good race for me and came up with the 3 B's. Before signing up for another race, I will look for the following:

1. BLING! I was a little disappointed when I finished 9.3 (actually 9.5 but who's counting?) miles on Sunday and no one was standing at the finish line to put some bling over my head. I know it was only a 15K, but us runners really like our medals...so much so that we sometimes choose our races based on the coolest medals. And it doesn't even have to be a medal per se, a Tiffany's necklace will suffice (yes, there is really a race that gives out Tiffany jewelry)!



2. BENEFICIARY! Now I know that not all races can afford to provide medals. For instance, one of my favorite races this year was the local Humane Society 5k- we got a t-shirt but no bling. Would I do it again? Absolutely, but only because I truly believe in the beneficiary of the race and would like to see the race bring in all the money it possibly can. So, what I am saying is that if the race benefits an organization I believe in, I will spend the money to support it. Oh, and this race was also one of my favorites because I got 2nd place in my age group, and I am pretty sure that this turtle will never see that happen again!

3. BEHIND! Like I just said, I am SSSSLLLLLLLOOOOOWWWWW. I run between a 9:30 and 11:30 minute mile and I am ok with that. I will never be fast, and that's ok, but I don't want to be last! So, before registering for a race, I have to make sure that there are enough participants that I won't be last. 'Nuff said.

So, what makes for a good event for you? What was your favorite race? And, what race has the best bling?

3 comments:

Kris said...

I love this post because I completed my first 5k recently and was a tad upset when I recieved nothing for it. Normally I recieve a ribbon and/or a shirt other than this past weekend. Then, it occurred to me that yes I enjoyed running it and yes I supported a good cause so I needed to stop complaining. lol... I like your 3 B's and think I will use them in my own race choices.

Holly said...

I'm all about the bling myself! I've run 2 15Ks and have bling to show for both! One is kind of chintzy...the other nice. It's a let down on the medal bit once you get Disney medals though...did I mention after swearing I was done running Disney I found out they are having a new 1/2 medal and a marathon relay with a Chip and Dale medal so well...instead of Goofy...I'm going half Goofy and running the 1/2 and the relay..UGH...then I'm really done...oh wait..unless they change Goofy or add Dopey LOL

Taylor said...

Oh my gosh! Those Disney races are ridiculously expensive...I hope that bling has real gemstones!