Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I Took the Pledge

I knew I wanted to write this post, but I wasn't exactly sure what to say or even where to start. So, I google vegetarianism, and of course, the first thing that popped up was PETA's website.

And within 35 seconds of being on the site, a ticker said that 66,000 animals had been killed since I logged on. I read a few animal facts, and was immediately in tears.

I'm not saying that this is a lifetime decision; I'm giving it 30 days and will then re-evaluate based on how my body feels.

I'm not saying that this is a decision for everyone; humans seem to be carnivores by nature.

But, I am saying that since I have become increasingly disgusted with myself everytime I have eaten an animal within the last few monghts, I am taking a pledge to not eat meat for 30 days.

For me, personally, this is about a love of animals, and the thought that I do not want one animal slaughtered for my enjoyment.

The husband is still very much a meat-eater and will continue to be since he is one of those people who thinks he will die without some sort of meat with every meal.

Anyway, I started this process yesterday, Valentines Day, and watched as the husband devoured a steak with his dinner. I didn't miss it one bit!

So, in honor of this journey and to help kick it off, we our watching this movie tonight.



I just hope I don't cry through the whole thing!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it!! The 30 days I went meat free was not only much easier than I imagined, it was also rewarding. I felt much better and learned a lot about what foods I should be eating, and what I can do without. And I even lost a few pounds. Although, I don't know if any of that was bc I was meat free, or just eating better in general bc I had also cut out processed food and fast food and limited the times I ate out. BUT after 2 weeks back on the meat train, I've hopped off indefinitely. I don't need it. And while I do crave cheeseburgers and the occasional BBQ, I don't think I'll miss them for long.

Good luck! And I'm happy to have a veggie friend at the dinner table =)

Anonymous said...

Oh! And let me know how the movie is. I've been dying to watch it

Kris said...

Well, I think that this is great. My sister gave up everything (meat, eggs, milk, etc) and after a full month she said she felt like she had "rebooted her body". Good Luck!

daymom said...

I think I could totally do this. Let me know how it's going.