Sunday, May 2, 2010

Easy Reads

I just got on my local library's website to look for a book that I am interested in reading. I was going to buy it, but I love that I can save $100s each year by checking out books and CDs instead of buying them. I know, I know....the artists and authors hate me, but half the time I don't read the books or like the music enough to put it on my IPOD anyway, so at least I didn't waste any money!

Anyway, I found the book I was looking for and requested it, but I was wishing while I was on the site that I could think of some other books to request. I LOVE it when I stumble upon a book that I am so into that I look forward to getting into bed at night to read. Plus, the weather here is so nice right now, it is the perfect time to sit on the patio with a book while the dogs play at my feet.

So, since I sincerely appreciate literary recommendations, I would like to give you a few of my own. BUT, I must preface this by saying that the 3 books I am about to recommend are nothing more than GREAT stories. They are written by real people with a story to tell....NOT professional writers, and you must keep that in mind when reading them. Just enjoy these books for the story they tell.


Number 1 and one of my all time favorite books is Left for Dead by Beck Weathers. Weathers is a husband, father and dreamer who aspired to summit Mt. Everest, and when he finally got the chance he was caught in one of the deadliest storms of the mountain's history. As the book's title indicates, he was left for dead by his climbing team, but was incredibly fortunate to live to tell his story. I love this book because it is not as technical as other sport's related stories I have read. Instead, Weathers tells his story from the perspective of a mountaineer, husband and father and relates his climbing decisions and their repercussions back to each aspect of his life.

Next, I highly recommend My Lobotomy by Howard Dully. I'm not gonna lie, I only bought this book because it was cheap and I had a gift card to Borders that was burning a hole in my pocket. But Dully's story was so unbelievable, I found myself wanting more even after I had read the entire book, so I followed up the novel by listening to his story again on NPR.

As a child, Dully had a lot of energy like most boys his age, but he also had a stepmother who didn't understand his behavior and attributed it to psychological issues. Her solution was to take him to Dr. Walter Freeman who, for $200, performed an "ice-pick" lobotomy on the boy to "fix" him. Now, at 54 years-of-age, Dully revisits his youth and his medical records to paint a tragic picture of what his "guardian" did to him.

And last, if you are looking for a REALLY fast read, pick up Mistaken Identity by the Van Ryn and Cerak families. When the daughters of these two families were involved in a tragic car accident, one family was notified of their daughter/sister's death and the other family spent months at the ICU bedside of the girl they were told was their daughter. However, as this title also indicates, the girls were identified incorrectly following the accident, leading to what would become another story of faith, hope and unbelievable courage and strength. Trust me, you will laugh, cry and stay awake until you finish this book!


So, what are some of your favorite page-turners? What books can you not stop thinking about long after they have begun to collect dust on the shelf?

Hope everyone had a great weekend and happy reading!


1 comment:

Sara said...

You need to read "The Shack". I read it last week it is really good. It made me cry.