Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Reach for the Stars

When we were little, my brother and I had dreams.  These were serious, serious aspirations; we were reaching high, aiming for the stars. I was going to become a Broadway chorus girl, and I planned to ride back and forth to my big city job in my electric wheelchair. Does that make sense? Of course not, but as a 10-year-old I thought an electric wheelchair would be the best gift ever. It was on my wish list for many birthdays and many Christmases, but I never got one. Can you believe it; what on earth were my parents thinking by not buying their sweet little girl and electric wheelchair?

My brother, on the other hand, had the incredible wish to spank a black cow. Anytime we passed a pasture, he asked my mom to stop the car so he could fulfill his long-time dream. She would, and he would try to muster up the courage to actually do it, but he never did. I don't even think he ever got out of the car. Yes people, the children in our family dreamed big.

J and I recently made a day trip to Woolaroc in Bartlesville (a.k.a the Big City to Pioneer Woman fans), and when J got the chance to spank a black cow, I made him take advantage of the opportunity. He didn't understand, but it has significance for my family, and that is why I love this picture.



I also love this picture. As creepy as it is, it reminds me of my last visit to the museum as a middle schooler. These are THE shrunken heads. Yes, they are real.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we had a marketer with a head like this.